Supported with cutting-edge technology and highly skilled cardiothoracic surgeons with multidisciplinary approach, Cardiothoracic Surgery Center at Bangkok Heart Hospital offers the full range of cardiac surgery procedures, including:
Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG)
A coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) is a surgical procedure used to treat coronary artery disease which is the narrowing or blockage of the coronary arteries, usually caused by atherosclerotic plaques. CABG uses blood vessels from another part of the body e.g. the arms, chest or legs and connects them to blood vessels above and below the narrowed artery, bypassing the narrowed or blocked coronary arteries while improving blood flow and oxygen supply to the heart. One or more blood vessels may be used, depending on the severity and number of blockages. Two available options of CABG include:
- On-Pump CABG or Traditional CABG: In On-Pump CABG, the heart is stopped with the body’s blood supply being maintained by the cardiopulmonary bypass machine (heart-lung bypass machine).
- Off-Pump CABG or Beating Heart CABG: Off-Pump CABG or beating heart surgery is performed without cardiopulmonary bypass machine.
Heart Valve Repair and Replacement
Heart valve repair or replacement surgery is conducted to correct the problems caused by one or more diseased heart valves. Treatment options include:
- Heart Valve Repair or Replacement
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI) / Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) – a minimally invasive procedure to replace a narrowed aortic valve that fails to open properly (aortic valve stenosis).
- Mitral Valve Clip –a minimally invasive procedure to repair damaged mitral valve without the need for open-heart surgery.
Treatment of Aortic Aneurysm and Aortic Dissection
A comprehensive service covers the diagnosis and treatments of all conditions and diseases related to the aorta e.g. aortic aneurysms and aortic dissections. Treatment options mainly include open surgery and endovascular repair with stent placement through a thin tube (catheter).
- Open surgery – the traditional method of repair.
- Endovascular aneurysm repair – a minimally-invasive procedure to repair an aneurysm by using a stent through a catheter.
Portable ECMO machine (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation)
Working collaboratively with our emergency medical services, Bangkok Heart Hospital provides portable ECMO (similar to heart-lung bypass machine) services during lifesaving and emergency medical evacuations to the patients who have critical conditions. Besides our expertise in cardiac care, our portable ECMO devices can be transported in both ground and air ambulances, making it possible to provide relief in emergency cases.