Genetic Testing…In Search of Coronary Heart Disease
Coronary artery disease (CAD) can be one of the most challenging conditions to treat. Once a plaque builds up on the arterial wall, it can lead to blockage, which can cause a heart attack. Wouldn’t it be nice if we can assess our risk of that happening before it happens? In fact, your genes can help determine whether you have a high risk of CAD or not. Genetic testing is an effective alternative assessment that helps you reduce the risk by choosing the right care for yourself, preparing for long-term treatment and essentially doing our best to prevent the disease from manifesting itself.
What is Genetic Testing
Genetic Testing or Polygenic Risk Score (PRS) is an assessment of the risk for a specific condition based on each person’s genetic component. Certain health conditions are related to multiple genes or genetic variants. A PRS takes into consideration the total number of genetic variants that a person has to assess their health risk. Once known, doctors can plan preventive measures and/or treatment designed specifically for each individual. Since coronary heart disease is one of the many conditions that involves genes, genetic testing can provide insight into your heart’s health.
Types of Genetic Testing
There are 2 main types of testing:
- Condition-specific gene testing can provide an in-depth analysis to help reduce the risk associated with treatment.
- Polygenic Risk Score (PRS) can predict the chances of having a particular condition and the best course of action.
How to Collect Sample
Samples can be easily collected either by a cheek swab or a blood draw. It will take 3 – 4 weeks to complete the analysis and get the full report.
Heart Disease & Genetic Testing
Other than heart condition, these conditions can also be detected by genetic testing:
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
The Importance of Analysis & Interpretation
Careful analysis and result interpretation is crucial in making the best use of genetic tests. A team of experienced medical specialists from multiple disciplines can offer comprehensive insights to assess whether there is a risk for a particular condition. Thus, it is recommended that testing is done in a hospital that offers comprehensive care.
Benefits of Genetic Testing
- In – depth analysis to effectively assess your health risks.
- Doctor can determine the right course of treatment and medication for the best overall result with minimal side effects.
- If detected at an early stage or early age, patients can better prepare and protect themselves under the doctor’s advice. This will help reduce risk and chances of developing the disease as well as lessening severity of the disease, should it occur.
- In general, genetic testing is a valuable tool for a patient’s well-being. It helps provide information and plans for the right care. In people with hereditary condition, genetic testing can provide vital and in-depth data for preventive care.
It is never too early to get a genetic test. Any one at any age can get tested at any time. Doctors will walk you through the details before testing. Do not lose your chance for better health, contact us to schedule your consultation today.