The heart is composed of 4 chambers, the upper chamber (left and right) is referred to as the atrium, and the lower chamber (left and right) is the ventricle. Heart valves are located in between, and separates the different chambers, these include:
• Tricuspid Valve: Sits between the right atrium and right ventricle
• Mitral Valve: Lies between the left atrium and left ventricle
• Pulmonary or Pulmonic Valve: Lies between the right ventricle and pulmonary artery
• Aortic Valve: Located between the left ventricle and aorta
How does your Heart Function?
Initially, blood will travel to the right atrium through to the right ventricle, which is then responsible for pumping blood to the lungs where blood cells will pick up fresh oxygen. The blood will return into the left atrium and move down the left ventricle. From here oxygenated blood is pumped out to the rest of the body through arteries.
• Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and wholegrain daily as these foods are high in fiber, vitamin, and minerals, offer low calories, and help to maintain a healthy weight.
• Eat fish high in omega such as Tuna
• Reduce intake of fatty and high cholesterol foods which will cause blood vessels to narrow
• Avoid salty foods and reduce your overall salt intake